- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Green food coloring, optional
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add the eggs and lemon peel; beat well. Combine the flour, baking soda and ginger; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with 2-in. cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For frosting, in a bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough cream to achieve spreading consistency. Add food coloring if desired to some or all of the frosting. Decorate cookies. Yield: About 6 dozen.
Reviews forBrown Sugar Cutouts
"Dough is much too gooey to roll out. It's sticking to the rolling surface, the rolling pin, and my hands. I don't even know how to save it."