Brown Sugar Angel Food Cake Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)
- 2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift 1 cup brown sugar and flour together twice; set aside. Sift remaining sugar; set aside.
- 2. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Add vanilla. Gradually add reserved sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition; beat until stiff glossy peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, abut 1/2 cup at a time.
- 3. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry.
- 4. Immediately invert pan onto a wire rack; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around side of cake and remove to a serving plate. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 197 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 265mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Brown Sugar Angel Food Cake
"This turned out to be pretty good. I was a little leery of the amount of brown sugar but it didn't taste as sweet as I thought it would. Hubby liked it, so it is a keeper."