Brown Rice Turkey Soup
- 1 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the red pepper, onion, celery and garlic in butter for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the broth, wine or additional broth, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- 2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in turkey and rice. Bring to a boil; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Garnish with green onions.
1-1/2 cups: 264 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 815mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Dec 28, 2016
Nov 4, 2014
This is a good basic soup, which can be altered a bit to suit your taste. I halved the recipe and added carrots for color. It he red pepper added something special.
Dec 29, 2009
I thought the thyme was way too overpowering. I will make again with poultry seasoning and maybe a dash of thyme. I think it would be great with that substitution.
Dec 31, 1969
This is a GREAT tasting soup!! I'm not a fan of cooked carrots, Thank You for sharing a recipe that doesn't include them!!! I do LOVE red peppers and this was a "hit" with my family!!!