Brown Rice, Tomato & Basil Salad
This recipe makes a delicious, satisfying and light salad for an office potluck or family get-together. It can also be made ahead and refrigerated until ready to serve.—Ann Crawford, Goodyear, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 cups uncooked brown basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 6 ounces feta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pitted Greek olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add tomatoes and garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar.
- Place rice in a large bowl. Add tomato mixture, cheese, basil, olives, salt and pepper; toss gently to coat. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 256 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 516mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Brown Rice, tomato, basil salad in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.