Brown Rice Salad
Bottled salad dressing gives just the right amount of punch to this cold rice and bean salad that's perfect for warm summer picnics. —Rosemarie Bush of Bangor, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, cooled
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Add salad dressing; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 162 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 522mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Originally published as Brown Rice Salad in Healthy Cooking June/July 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.