- 2 quarts water
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup dry split peas
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring water, rice and peas to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a skillet, saute the mushrooms, celery, carrots, onion and garlic in oil until vegetables are tender. Combine the vegetables, rice mixture, tomatoes and seasonings.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forBrown Rice Casserole
"We thought this recipe was bland, boring, mushy, and not improved by any number of condiments we tried on it. We like each of the ingredients individually, but together they did not compliment each other well. Sorry, we will not be making this again."
"I thought this was going to be dry before I baked it, but it was awesome. I didn't have any split peas so I left them out. I substituted sweet red and yellow peppers for the mushrooms since my husband doesn't like mushrooms. I made this ahead of time and just heated it up and sprinkled the cheese on top the day I served it. Excellent!"
"Awesome recipe!! I added a teaspoon of hot red pepper flakes and it brought the flavor out wonderfully."