Brown and Wild Rice Medley
“I got the idea for this dish at a Mongolian restaurant here in Bogota. It's a versatile recipe as you can add any vegetable or amount of vegetables you want.” Sharon Fleming - Bogota, Colombia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 package (6.7 ounces) mushroom-flavored brown and wild rice mix
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup cut fresh green beans (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a large saucepan, cook rice mix according to package directions, omitting butter.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and green beans in oil for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, carrots and pepper; saute 3-5 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Add vegetables and almonds to cooked rice; stir until blended.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 135 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 325mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Brown and Wild Rice Veggie Medley in Healthy Cooking June/July 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.