Broiled Tomato-Mozzarella Dip
This eye-catching and palate-pleasing dip features zippy tomatoes topped with plenty of mozzarella cheese. Party guests will wipe the plate clean!—Connie Barszcz, Elmvale, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Broil: 5 min.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cartons (8 ounces each) fresh mozzarella cheese pearls, drained
- Toasted sliced Italian bread
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, wine, basil, fennel, oregano, garlic, sugar, pepper flakes and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and cook 10-15 minutes longer or until thickened. Transfer mixture to a 10-in. baking dish; sprinkle with cheese.
- Broil 6 in. from the heat for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. Serve with toasted bread.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 97 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 143mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Italian Tomatoes and Bocconcini in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.