This recipe from Lauralee Olson of Duvall, Washington features wings and legs. "It’s a spicy one," notes Lauralee. "Be sure to have cool beverages on hand; you'll need them."
Recommended: Game-Changing Chicken Wing Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped mild banana pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 2 chicken legs (5-1/2 ounces each)
- 2 chicken wings (3-1/2 ounces each)
- Ranch salad dressing, optional
- In a small saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the chili sauce, banana pepper, water, brown sugar, pepper sauce, pepper flakes, cayenne and Liquid Smoke if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes.
- Place chicken on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Spoon some of the sauce over chicken. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 15 minutes. Turn; broil 10-15 minutes longer or until juices run clear, basting frequently with remaining sauce. Serve with ranch dressing if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Broiled Spicy Chicken in Cooking for 2 Spring 2007, p21