Broiled Sausage Sandwiches
"We've spiced up these open-faced sandwiches by adding jalapenos or extra cayenne from time to time," shares Patricia Inman of Lichfield, Minnesota. "I've even spread the sausage mixture on a loaf of French bread for a potluck dinner. It was devoured in a hurry," she adds.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian or pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 cup salsa
- Dash cayenne pepper, optional
- 12 hamburger buns, split
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the pizza sauce, salsa and cayenne if desired; cook and stir, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Place buns, cut side up, on ungreased baking sheets. Broil 4 in. from the heat until lightly toasted.
- Spread about 3 tablespoons sausage mixture over each bun half. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 283 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 790mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Broiled Sausage Sandwiches in Quick Cooking January/February 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.