Broiled Sausage Sandwiches
"We've spiced up these open-faced sandwiches by adding jalapenos or extra cayenne from time to time," shares Patricia Inman of Lichfield, Minnesota. "I've even spread the sausage mixture on a loaf of French bread for a potluck dinner. It was devoured in a hurry," she adds.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian or pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 cup salsa
- Dash cayenne pepper, optional
- 12 hamburger buns, split
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the pizza sauce, salsa and cayenne if desired; cook and stir, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Place buns, cut side up, on ungreased baking sheets. Broil 4 in. from the heat until lightly toasted.
- Spread about 3 tablespoons sausage mixture over each bun half. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 283 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 790mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Broiled Sausage Sandwiches in Quick Cooking January/February 2001