"We've spiced up these open-faced sandwiches by adding jalapenos or extra cayenne from time to time," shares Patricia Inman of Lichfield, Minnesota. "I've even spread the sausage mixture on a loaf of French bread for a potluck dinner. It was devoured in a hurry," she adds.
Recommended: Our Favorite Eggplant Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 pounds Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 cup salsa
- Dash cayenne pepper, optional
- 12 hamburger buns, split
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook sausage and onion until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in pizza sauce, salsa and cayenne if desired; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Place buns, cut side up, on baking sheets. Broil 4 in. from the heat until lightly toasted.
- Spread about 3 tablespoons sausage mixture over each bun half. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly browned. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Broiled Sausage Sandwiches in Quick Cooking January/February 2001, p40