Broiled French Onion Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2-1/2 pounds sweet onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Dash pepper
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1-1/2 cups bread cubes, toasted
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onions in 3 tablespoons butter until tender, about 25 minutes. In a small bowl, combine flour and pepper. Gradually add broth, stirring until smooth. Add sherry. Stir into onion mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Melt remaining butter and toss with bread cubes; sprinkle over the onion mixture. Sprinkle with cheeses. Broil 6 in. from the heat until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 242 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 336mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 29, 2014
This recipe had a very good flavor. I felt like it bordered on being a little heavy on the sherry so next time I'll start with 1/8 cup, taste and add accordingly.. I think I cooked the onions almost an hour on low to medium and they were nice and soft. I burned a few of the bread crumbs under the broiler, so I will be sure to watch it more carefully next time.