Broiled Cod with Herb Sauce
A flavorful white sauce dresses up cod fillets in this high-protein main dish from Tacoma, Washington’s Rachel Niemeyer. Pine nuts lend a little crunch for a special finishing touch.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 cod fillets (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried oregano, tarragon and rosemary, crushed
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Sprinkle fillets with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Place on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 8-12 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, herbs and remaining salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Spoon over cod; sprinkle with pine nuts.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 259 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 477mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2 fat.
Originally published as Cod Fillets in White Sauce in Light & Tasty October/November 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.