Broiled Coconut Orange Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, flour, baking soda and salt. Add mandarin oranges and egg; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter and milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from the heat; stir in coconut. Pour over warm cake. Broil 6 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until top is browned. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 275 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jan 31, 2008
This cake recipe is easy, delightful, and homemade! I love the orange flavor and the coconut topping, but not half as much as my husband does. He says it's his favorite lunchbox dessert.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.