Broiled Chicken Sandwiches
No one will be able to resist these sandwiches, with tender chicken strips tucked into a lightly toasted bun. And in place of traditional mayonnaise or mustard, they feature a creamy herbed cheese spread. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 to 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 4 French or Italian sandwich rolls, split
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- Lettuce leaves
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, 1/4 teaspoon of lemon-pepper, basil and garlic salt until smooth; set aside.
- Combine the oil, lemon juice and remaining lemon-pepper. Cut chicken into 1/2-in.-wide strips; brush with lemon juice mixture. Broil chicken 4 in. from the heat from 5 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.
- Place rolls with cut side up on broiler pan; broil for 1-2 minutes or until light golden brown; spread with the cream cheese mixture. Layer chicken, onion and lettuce over cream cheese. Replace roll tops.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 423 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 587mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Broiled Chicken Sandwiches in 1997 Taste of Home Calendar
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.