Broiled Beef N Mushroom Bread
My sister-in-law fixed this as a spur-of-the-moment lunch one Sunday several years ago. I had her write down the ingredients before she forgot. I've relied on this recipe often ever since. - Charlotte, McDaniel, Williamsville, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 block (8 ounces) Colby cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- In a skillet, cook beef, onion, green pepper, celery and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in the cheese, soup, mushrooms, olives, salt and pepper; mix well. Simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, cut the bread widthwise into four pieces, then cut each piece lengthwise. Place cut side up on greased baking sheets. Broil 4-5 in. from the heat until lightly toasted. Top with meat mixture. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until edges are browned.
If you like, use 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms in place of the canned ones when making Broiled Beef 'n' Mushroom Bread.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 468 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 1138mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 29g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.