Broiled Beef N Mushroom Bread
My sister-in-law fixed this as a spur-of-the-moment lunch one Sunday several years ago. I had her write down the ingredients before she forgot. I've relied on this recipe often ever since. - Charlotte, McDaniel, Williamsville, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 block (8 ounces) Colby cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- In a skillet, cook beef, onion, green pepper, celery and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in the cheese, soup, mushrooms, olives, salt and pepper; mix well. Simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, cut the bread widthwise into four pieces, then cut each piece lengthwise. Place cut side up on greased baking sheets. Broil 4-5 in. from the heat until lightly toasted. Top with meat mixture. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until edges are browned.
If you like, use 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms in place of the canned ones when making Broiled Beef 'n' Mushroom Bread.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 468 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 1138mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Broiled Beef N Mushroom Bread in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.