Broccoli with Garlic, Bacon & Parmesan Recipe
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bunches broccoli (about 3 pounds), stems removed, cut into florets
- 6 thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Fill a 6-qt. stockpot two-thirds full with water; add salt and bring to a boil over high heat. In batches, add broccoli and cook 2-3 minutes or until broccoli turns bright green; remove with a slotted spoon.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon in pan.
- 3. Add oil to drippings; heat over medium heat. Add garlic and pepper flakes; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until garlic is fragrant (do not allow to brown). Add broccoli; cook until broccoli is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in bacon; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup: 155 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 371mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Broccoli with Garlic, Bacon & Parmesan
"Great side. I didn't have red pepper flakes, but hard to go wrong with bacon and parm."
"A bit spicy but my husband loved it!"