Broccoli Sunflower Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 quarts water
- 6 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted sunflower kernels
- In a large kettle, bring water to a boil. Add broccoli; cover and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place broccoli in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, soy sauce, oil and sugar substitute. Pour over broccoli; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, stirring several times. Just before serving, stir in sunflower kernels.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Splenda sugar blend.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 121 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 322mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Jun 29, 2013
Very good. Different! The flavors blend really well and with the soy sauce and sesame oil, it has a nice Asian flare.
Feb 3, 2012
LOVE this recipe!! I added toasted almond slivers (substituted for the sunflower kernels which I didn't have on hand), and about a tablespoon of minced fresh ginger. Delicious!! Did forget to add the sugar, but it was still great. Will remember the sugar next time and it may even be better, if possible!