- 3 cups or 2 cans (14-ounce each) chicken broth
- 1 large bunch broccoli (about 5 cups), chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil. Add broccoli, onion and bay leaves. Reduce heat and simmer until broccoli is tender; remove bay leaves. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour to make a smooth paste. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat until mixture is hot and thickened, stirring occasionally. Add 1 cup of broccoli stock to milk mixture; stir until well blended. Gradually add remaining broccoli stock to milk mixture. Heat and stir until well-blended. Season with salt and pepper. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forBroccoli Soup
"I just made this tonight for dinner, and it is wonderful. I actually doubled the recipe. This is a keeper!"
"Used up broccoli from our garden, and the whole family loved this soup! The bay leaves give it a nice flavor and keeps the broccoli odor tolerable."
"I had just picked the last of my broccoli and thought I would like to make a soup with it. I found this recipe, even picked the onions out of my garden and added 2 tiny zucchini to it, and it is absolutely delicious! Thank you for such a simple to make recipe with a wonderful flavor! I will definitely be making it again and again!"
"Very tasteful and simple to make."
"My sister usually makes the broccoli soup in our family so I never have to. A friend who had surgery requested it, so I decided to give it a shot. I followed the recipe as is. It has promise, but I felt like it was a little bland, probably my fault. I'll make it again, but maybe tweak it a little next time. I'll let you know how it goes!"
"Wonderful and easy. I did not have enough broccoli so I added a little cauliflower and red pepper. Plus I added some parmesian cheese that was on hand. Delicious."
"My husband and I really enjoyed this soup today. I am looking forward to making it for company. It is delicious and satisfying."
"My husband and I loved this soup. I added a 1/2 up of heavy cream for some of the milk. I added a little sour cream and cheese to the top. Ever since the last time I made this soup my husband has been asking for a repeat ot the recipe. I'm surprising him tonight and making him this soup. This soup freezes really well."