Broccoli Rice Hot Dish
With green broccoli, golden cheese and sweet red peppers, this bountiful bake has plenty of eye appeal...and it makes a tasty and satisfying meatless entree or side dish. From Sun City West, Arizona, Gretchen Widner sent the recipe for her comforting rice-and-veggie combo.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 4 ounces chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, cheese, egg substitute and garlic salt. Press firmly into a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the broccoli, mushrooms, red pepper and onion in a steamer basket over 1 in. boiling water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg substitute, milk, onion salt and pepper; stir in vegetables. Pour over crust. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 226 calories, 7g fat (5g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 527mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Broccoli Rice Hot Dish in Light & Tasty April/May 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.