With green broccoli, golden cheese and sweet red peppers, this bountiful bake has plenty of eye appeal...and it makes a tasty and satisfying meatless entree or side dish. From Sun City West, Arizona, Gretchen Widner sent the recipe for her comforting rice-and-veggie combo.
Recommended: 30 Quick Dinners Ready in 30 Minutes or Less
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 4 ounces chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, cheese, egg substitute and garlic salt. Press firmly into a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the broccoli, mushrooms, red pepper and onion in a steamer basket over 1 in. boiling water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg substitute, milk, onion salt and pepper; stir in vegetables. Pour over crust. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli Rice Hot Dish in Light & Tasty April/May 2003, p55
Reviews forBroccoli Rice Hot Dish
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 11, 2011
"Made this last night and was very bland. Had to add hot sauce to spice it up. I won't be making this one again."