- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 jar (8 ounces) process cheese sauce
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 3 cups cooked rice
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute onion, celery and broccoli in butter for 3-5 minutes. Stir in cheese sauce, soup and milk until smooth. Place rice in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Pour cheese mixture over; do not stir. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forBroccoli Rice Casserole
"We'v used this recipe for many family gatherings and everyone loves it."
"I have made this many times for family events. Always have to double it (Huge Family), I usually use 1 can cream of mushroom and 1 can cream of celery. I also add some diced precooked chicken. I love it because you can adjust to your own specific tastes. Thank you for the great recipe. Even my broccoli hating family members like it."
"Tasted good, but didn't like the texture. Will try making it again using Velveeta instead of Cheez Whiz."
"My family and I loved this recipe but I made some alterations to it. ..i substituted evaporated milk for 2/3 cups of vitamin D (x2), as well as I used "shamys garlic butter" for sauteing the onions and broccoli. I also used velveeta cheese (about 16 cubes) in the sauce as well as I used 1 can of cream of celery(instead of chopped celery) and 1 can of cream of mushroom..oh and I MIXED everything in a souffle dish and topped with the rest of the sauce that was left and with shredded Monterey cheese! It came out very creamy and cheesy but not soupy. My husband and two kids LOVED IT!! There was no left overs!!! I will be making this again!"
"I've made this many times and everyone likes it - even those who don't like broccoli."
"I make my sister make this everything Thanksgiving!! LOVE IT"
"I have made this several times and we love it. I do pre-cook the broccoli before since we like our cooked veggies fork-tender, not crisp-tender (except for corn on the cob). This time I used cream of broccoli soup that I happened to have. And I use a cup of Cheez Whiz for the cheese sauce."
"I have used this recipe since it came out in Taste of Home for years. It is a huge family favorite..in fact, I am making it today to take to one of my daughter's friends who just had her wisdom teeth out and needs something yummy but squishy to eat! A definite must try!"
"This was good but not amazing. I didn't have Velveeta so used half a can of cheddar cheese soup, some mayo and some shredded cheese. Then stirred the whole mixture together. It was good but needed salt!"