VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 slices day-old Italian bread, cubed
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3-1/2 pounds broccoli rabe
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup shredded Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place bread in a food processor; cover and process until coarse crumbs are formed. In a large skillet, heat butter and 1 teaspoon oil. Add the crumbs, parsley, thyme and lemon peel; cook until toasted. Set aside.
- Fill a Dutch oven two-thirds full with water; bring to a boil. Trim 1/2 in. from broccoli rabe stems; discard any coarse or damaged leaves. Rinse broccoli rabe in cold water and cut into 2-in. pieces. Add to boiling water. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook garlic in remaining oil for 1 minute. Add pepper flakes; cook and stir 30 seconds longer. Add the broccoli rabe, cheese, currants and salt; heat through. Transfer to a serving dish; sprinkle with toasted crumbs. Yield: 12 servings (2/3 cup each).
Originally published as Broccoli Rabe with Tuscan Crumbs in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p53