“I came up with this recipe in the middle of broccoli season, using ingredients I had on hand,” writes Evelyn Peterson of Corvallis, Montana. “My family loves this light and pleasing casserole.”
Recommended: 65 of Our Favorite Casserole Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 12 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 8 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) whole water chestnuts, drained, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 can (3.8 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions for 7 minutes. Add broccoli; return to a boil. Cook 2 minutes longer or until spaghetti is tender; drain.
- In a large bowl, combine soup and milk. Add the mushrooms, onion, water chestnuts, olives, salt, pepper and 1 cup cheese. Stir in spaghetti and broccoli.
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray (dish will be full). Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with sunflower kernels and remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli Pasta Bake in Light & Tasty February/March 2007, p56