Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 medium bunch broccoli (1-1/2 pounds), cut into spears
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring broccoli and broth to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in basil and pepper. Drain broccoli and place in a serving bowl; add onion mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 61 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 109mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Oct 5, 2013
Broccoli was tender and tasty!
Feb 17, 2013
looking for something different to do with the fresh broccoli I had and this fits the bill. Kids not to happy with the onion, so I may 1/2 that next time I make it. I didn't have any Parmesan thawed out, so I used the swiss I had in the fridge. Overall a tasty recipe! Thanks!
Apr 25, 2011
Great flavor! The combination of onion and garlic with the broccoli and basil was delicious! And so easy to make!!
Dec 2, 2010
The timing on posting this recipe is just perfect. Guess who's DH came home from Costco today with a 300# bag of broccoli!?
Dec 2, 2010
I made this paired with the Italian Chicken Noodle Skillet (also on this site). It has a strong flavor, but we really enjoyed it. I doubled the amount of broccoli but kept the rest of the recipe at the amounts listed. Will make again as my husband loved it!