Broccoli Mashed Potatoes
In Charlotte, North Carolina, Jim Hadley makes mashed potatoes with a twist--he adds broccoli to the mix! "I get rave reviews whenever I serve this low-fat dish," he writes.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds small unpeeled red potatoes, cubed
- 2 fresh broccoli spears
- 1-2/3 cups chopped onions
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove broccoli florets from stems. Peel stems and cut into 1/4-in. slices; cut slices in half. Add florets and stems to potatoes; cook 10-12 minutes longer or until potatoes and broccoli are tender; drain
- In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook onions until tender. Drain potato mixture. Add onions, sour cream, salt and pepper; mash.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 119 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 413mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Originally published as Broccoli Mashed Potatoes in Light & Tasty June/July 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.