Oregon's fertile Willamette Valley produces a lot of hazelnuts, and this is one of my favorite recipes that calls for them. I love to experiment with recipes, and this vegetable dish is the result of one of my experiments.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 8 cups chopped fresh broccoli or 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped broccoli
- 5 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 cup herb-seasoned stuffing mix
- 1/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup chopped hazelnuts or filberts, toasted
- Cook broccoli on the stove or in the microwave until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour to form a smooth paste. Gradually add milk and bouillon, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Drain broccoli; add to sauce and mix well. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. In bowl, combine the stuffing mix, water and nuts. Melt the remaining butter; pour over stuffing mixture and toss. Spoon over broccoli. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli-Hazelnut Bake in Country April/May 1996, p51