"I enjoy creating special dishes for my family and friends," writes Lupie Molinar from Tucson, Arizona. "Although I don't make sandwiches often, these attractive turnovers with their fresh-tasting filling are an exception."
Recommended: 60 Make-Ahead Thanksgiving Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pastry for double-crust pie
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- Place broccoli in a steamer basket over 1 in. of boiling water in a saucepan. Cover and steam for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse in cold water; drain well. In a bowl, combine broccoli, cheese, ham, onions, parsley, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- On a floured surface, roll out pastry; cut each in half. Place 1-1/2 cups filling on one side of each half; flatten filling with a spoon. Combine egg and cream; brush some over pastry edges. Fold pastry over filling. Seal edges and prick tops with a fork.
- Place on a baking sheet; brush with remaining egg mixture. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli Ham Turnovers in Quick Cooking March/April 2000, p53
Reviews forBroccoli Ham Turnovers
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 12, 2015
"It's ok. I think the filling could use a sauce. Maybe make a simple cheese sauce to go inside. I like the idea though."