- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen cut broccoli
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs (about 2-1/2 slices)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/2 pounds fully cooked ham, cubed
- Shredded cheddar or Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook broccoli according to package directions; drain. Spoon rice into a 13x9-in. baking pan. Place broccoli over rice.
- Melt butter in a large skillet. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of melted butter over the bread crumbs and set aside. In remaining butter, saute onion until soft. Add flour, salt and pepper, stirring constantly until blended; stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Add ham.
- Pour over rice and broccoli. Sprinkle with crumbs. Bake 30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese; let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forBroccoli-Ham Hot Dish
"Very good recipe! I cut this in half for my husband and I and used an 8x8 pan. I used fresh broccoli which I steamed (about 1.5 heads I believe). Instead of fresh bread crumbs I used dried Italian bread crumbs and just added melted butter to that until it looked good. Instead of melting all the butter in the skillet and then taking out the tbsp, I just divided beforehand and melted the tbsp in the microwave. I used a ham steak which I diced up in small pieces. I believe it was around 1/2 lb, and that seemed like plenty. I wanted a good layer of rice on the bottom so I used more like 1.5 - 2C cooked rice. As a side note: I definitely suggest greasing the pan. I found it to be just a tad dry, which may be in part due to increasing the amount of rice. Next time I will do 1.5 or 2 times the sauce to help with that. I know some people used condensed soup for the sauce but I definitely prefer this milk sauce (it doesn't taste as thick and "fake"; definitely has a fresher taste). I forgot to even put the shredded cheddar on top and we didn't miss it (though next time I'll try it to see how it tastes). Overall a good easy recipe that I'll be making again!"
"I've been making this since the recipe came out in the 1990s! and sometimes make double the breadcrumbs and milk mixture. This recipe is AMAZING!"
"This was easy to make and tasted oh so yummy! I didn't add all the milk (just over 2 cups) and substituted the fresh bread crumbs for Panko bread crumbs (to make it a bit crispy) and then put it back in the oven after I sprinkled the swiss cheese on it so that it all melted together! So good and will definitely make again."
"I made a few modifications to this & it received RAVE REVIEWS! Instead of the milk gravy, I used 2 cans condensed soup (cream of chicken & onion - what I had on hand). I sauteed the onion in a teaspoon olive oil w/ garlic, added the ham; stirred in 2 cans soup & 1 can milk. Seasoned w/ pepper. Poured over rice & broccoli. Topped with a generous handful of cheddar cheese. No breadcrumbs, butter, or flour! Delish!!"
"Tastes great.....I would cut the recipe in half and reduce the rice."