Broccoli Crab Bisque
"For a casual company meal, I serve this creamy soup along with miniature ham sandwiches," writes Karen Balistrieri from Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. "Sometimes we leave the bay leaf in the soup as a sign of good luck for the person who gets it in their bowl," she adds.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 cup sliced leeks (white portion only)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained
- In a large saucepan, saute the leeks, mushrooms and broccoli in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the flour, thyme, pepper and bay leaf; mix well. Stir in broth and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the cheese and crab; stir until cheese is melted and soup is heated through. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 191 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 532mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Jan 24, 2011
I doubled the recipe & used 1 whole leek, omitted the mushrooms & added some shrimp to it. I would make this again the family loved it and it was very simple to make