- 6 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Place broccoli in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 5-7 minutes or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer 4 cups chicken, two-thirds of the mushrooms, two cans of water chestnuts and 4 cups broccoli. In a greased 8-in. square baking dish, layer the remaining chicken, mushrooms, water chestnuts and broccoli.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in the flour, seasoned salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add broth and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan; cook and stir until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice and nutmeg.
- Pour 3 cups sauce over the large casserole and remaining sauce over the small casserole; sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forBroccoli Chicken Supreme
"This recipe sounded so good when i read it. I did everything step by step by step. It was not very good. with every bite i was looking for a cheesy taste and only got an egg custard taste. I think if you add some kind of cheese. it would be alot better."
"I left out the water chestnuts by the suggestion of the previous reviewer; It was a decent meal...my 2 year old daughter loved it! Serving it over pasta might be a good idea. If I make it again, I think I might try it that way."
"This recipe was a huge disappointment, ingredients sounded great, but once they came all together, it was honestly disgusting. The chestnuts threw the whole thing off. My husband didn't even eat it. We threw the whole thing in the trash. I will never make it again."