Broccoli Chicken Roll-Ups
In Knightstown, Indiana, Joyce Hooker rolls cheese and broccoli into chicken breasts, zaps them in the microwave, then drapes them with a smooth sauce. "I often make this dish with low-fat cheese and skim milk," she notes.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 slices process American cheese
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen broccoli, thawed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon white wine or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut one cheese slice into four strips; place one strip in the center of each piece of chicken. Top with broccoli. Fold chicken in half and secure with wooden toothpicks. Place seam side down around the outside of a greased 8-in. square microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3-1/2 to 6 minutes or until chicken juices run clear; keep warm.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the flour, milk, wine or broth, parsley, salt and pepper until blended. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until thickened. Dice remaining cheese slice; add to the sauce and stir until melted. Pour over chicken. Cook, uncovered, on high for 20 seconds or until heated through.