Broccoli Cheeseburgers with Spicy Sweet Potatoes
These faux burgers are so packed with flavor that nobody notices they're also packed with protein, fiber and vitamins. —Pamela Vachon, Astoria, New York
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 12 wedges each
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon salt-free spicy seasoning blend or reduced-sodium Creole seasoning
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup ready-to-serve quinoa
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Optional toppings: lettuce leaves, tomato slices, ketchup, mustard and reduced-fat mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 450°. Spritz sweet potato wedges with cooking spray until lightly coated. Sprinkle with seasoning mix; toss to coat. Arrange in a single layer on a 15x10x1-in. baking sheet. Bake, turning wedges halfway through cooking, until tender and lightly spotted, 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. Add shallot; cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add broccoli; cook just until it turns bright green, about 3 minutes longer.
- Transfer broccoli mixture to a food processor. Add egg and beans; pulse until ingredients are blended but not pureed. Pour broccoli mixture into a large bowl. Add quinoa and cheddar cheese; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 1/2-in.-thick patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add burger patties to skillet; cook until golden and heated through, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Serve burgers immediately on whole-wheat buns with sweet potato wedges. If desired, add optional toppings.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 burger with six sweet potato wedges: 457 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 550mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 11g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Broccoli Cheeseburgers with Spicy Sweet Fries in Taste of Home Feb/Mar 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.