Broccoli-Cheese Stuffed Pizza
After eating stuffed pizza at various Italian restaurants, I decided to come up with my own version. The filling is very rich and resembles broccoli lasagna.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 5 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 cups frozen broccoli florets, cooked and drained
- 1 jar (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 4 tablespoons oil, salt and enough flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. knead for 10 minutes. Divide in half. Roll each portion into a 15x10-in. rectangle; transfer each to a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush one rectangle with remaining oil. Spread with ricotta cheese. Sprinkle with garlic powder and oregano. Layer with mozzarella cheese, broccoli and mushrooms. Invert remaining rectangle over filling; pinch edges to seal.
- Bake at 400° for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 252 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 415mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat.
Originally published as Broccoli-Cheese Stuffed Pizza in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2004