Broccoli Cheese Soufflé Recipe
This recipe is from my mom's fabulous collection. Without fail, I serve it every holiday and the dish gets emptied every time. It's a clever way to get kids to eat broccoli. —Marilyn Rockwell, Lynden, Washington
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoons dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cups cooked chopped broccoli, patted dry
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 1. Separate the eggs. Let yolks and whites stand at room temperature for up to 30 minutes. Grease a 2-1/2-qt. souffle dish and dust with bread crumbs; set aside.
- 2. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in broccoli and onion. Remove from the heat; stir in egg yolks until combined. Cool slightly. Stir in mayonnaise.
- 3. In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Stir a fourth of the egg whites into the broccoli mixture. Fold in remaining whites. Transfer to prepared souffle dish. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
- 4. Bake at 325° for 38-42 minutes or until top is golden brown, a toothpick inserted near the side comes out clean and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Serve immediately. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 piece: 348 calories, 32g fat (10g saturated fat), 167mg cholesterol, 404mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Broccoli Cheese Soufflé
Reviewed Aug. 2, 2017
"Can't wait to try"
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC