- 8 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 12 large eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute broccoli and onion in butter until crisp-tender; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream and 1-3/4 cups of the cheese. Stir in the broccoli mixture, salt and pepper. Pour into a greased 3-qt. baking dish; set in a large pan filled with 1 in. of hot water.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forBroccoli Cheddar Casserole
"I really like the fact the broccoli is sauted in a skillet instead of being cooked in water. Unfortunately, my family didn't care for this casserole. I think it uses too much cream and too many eggs."
"One of my go-to recipes for our football tailgates. I make two alumium trays of this and both are always gone!I cooled it down with ice when I took it out of the oven to prevent overcooking. Warmed it up on the grill the next morning and we were good to go!"
"Good recipe. It had to bake for 60 minutes. I'm not sure I will put it in a water bath next time though."
"I made this on Easter Sunday for a crowd and it was a huge hit!! The only change was that I did not bake in the water bath; didn't see the point. Too rich and indulgent for anything but special occasions. Will definitely make again!"
"When i am trying a recipe for the first time, I make it exactly as written. However, I only made half this recipe because of the high fat and cholesterol. . I think it was okay, but my broccoli-loving husband and kids did not like it. Sometimes I will make changes to a recipe and try it again, but I will not bother with this one. After dinner, the recipe went into the shredder."
"I made this recipe for Easter and it was a hot mess. I followed the directions to cook in a water bath and it took over 2 hours to finish cooking in the middle. I think it calls for too many eggs and cream as the center remained liquid for over 2 hours. When finally cooked through,(about 2 1/2 hours) it just wasn't very flavorful, very blah. I know the oven temp was spot on due to 2 oven thermometers and everything else cooked one right after the other turned out fine. I would never make this again, it was more like a blah broccoli quiche. I agree with another reviewer and should have taken her advice to add some spices."
"I used this as a base to use up a bag of mixed broccoli & cauliflower -- halved and added fresh mushrooms after sauteing in olive oil. No cream so used about a cup of sour cream & a bit of milk; and 6 eggs. Added spices I knew we would like -- enjoyed and will make again!"