Broccoli-Cauliflower Cheese Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 50 min.
Makes18-20 servings (about 5-1/2 quarts)
- 3 quarts water
- 8 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2-1/2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 packages (10 ounce each) frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cauliflowerets
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 pound process American cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first five ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add broccoli and cauliflower; cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the soup, cheese, thyme and pepper; simmer for 20 minutes, or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 112 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 769mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 3, 2012
Hello, Donalee, I would like to make this soup for my family. It sounds delicious and I, too have fresh broccoli and cauliflower that I would like to use. My question to you is, did you have to alter any of the directions, especially the cooking time, when you used fresh, rather than frozen? Also, I am more interested in using my crockpot in place of a dutch oven. Thanks for your time.
Oct 17, 2010
I MADE THIS SOUP TODAY FOR OUR SUPPER TONIGHT.IT WAS DELICIOUS. THERE WAS A LOT OF PREP WORK BECAUSE I USED FRESH BROCCOLI AND CAULIFLOWER BUT IT WAS WORTH IT. LOW CALORIE TOO. WILL MAKE THIS AGAIN.
Mar 13, 2010
Tasty but too watery. Next time, I'd decrease the water, add more cheese & maybe add another can of cream of chicken soup to give it a creamier texture.
May 6, 2009
Made this for a lunch, it turned out great. well making again but will half it. thanks
Dec 10, 2007
This recipe sounds good and it's easy! I like the fact that it includes nutrition info.