Broccoli Breakfast Casserole
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min.
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 24 large eggs
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/4 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large saucepan, place steamer basket over 1 in. of water. Place broccoli in basket. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; steam, covered, 4-6 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs until blended; set aside. In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, ham and green onions; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Pour in eggs; cook and stir until eggs are thickened and no liquid egg remains.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese, salt and pepper until cheese is melted.
- Add cheese sauce to egg mixture; gently stir in broccoli. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. In a small bowl, mix bread crumbs and melted butter; sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
Editor's NoteTo make soft bread crumbs, tear bread into pieces and place in a food processor or blender. Cover and pulse until crumbs form. One slice of bread yields 1/2 to 3/4 cup crumbs.
Feb 7, 2019
I adjusted this to 2/3 and used 16 eggs to make a 9x9 casserole. It was the perfect number of eggs for that size, so I would say, "Yes, for a 9x13 pan, it would take 2 dozen eggs." That said, I shortcutted the broccoli, and sauteed it with the onions, mushrooms,
May 2, 2016
Hi Snowdanc,24 eggs is correct. This is a very hearty dish, perfect for brunch!
Apr 30, 2016
Does this recipe really take 24 eggs??????