I came up with this hearty dish for a graduation brunch and got many requests for the recipe. I love the combination of broccoli, mushrooms, ham and cheese—delicious!—Edna Thomas, Warsaw, Indiana
Featured In: 13x9 Brunch Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 24 large eggs
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/4 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large saucepan, place steamer basket over 1 in. of water. Place broccoli in basket. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; steam, covered, 4-6 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs until blended; set aside. In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, ham and green onions; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Pour in eggs; cook and stir until eggs are thickened and no liquid egg remains.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese, salt and pepper until cheese is melted.
- Add cheese sauce to egg mixture; gently stir in broccoli. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. In a small bowl, mix bread crumbs and melted butter; sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli Breakfast Casserole in Fall Recipe Card Collection 2015
Reviews forBroccoli Breakfast Casserole
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 2, 2016
"Hi Snowdanc,24 eggs is correct. This is a very hearty dish, perfect for brunch!"
Reviewed Apr. 30, 2016
"Does this recipe really take 24 eggs??????"