Broccoli Blue Cheese Rice
This colorful veggie side will go nicely with a variety of entrees. And with just a hint of lemon, it's certain to add a fresh touch to any menu. Thanks to our Test Kitchen for an easy but flavorful recipe.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/3 cups plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- In a small saucepan, combine 1-1/3 cups water, rice, lemon peel, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Place broccoli and remaining water in a small microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Toss with rice. Sprinkle with blue cheese.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with an 850-watt microwave.
This recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 178 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 509mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Rice and Broccoli with Blue Cheese in Light & Tasty February/March 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.