Broccoli Beef Pot Pie
Twenty years ago, I ran my own restaurant. For the last 15, I've been a cook at our local school, so I'm always in the kitchen cooking. Whenever I fix this for my husband and me, I give half to my single brother, who shares it with his friends.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 6 to 8 tablespoons cold water
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon whole milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Roll out dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer to plate; trim even with edge.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the broccoli, Swiss cheese, cream cheese, egg, 1/2 cup milk, flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Spoon into crust.
- Roll out remaining dough to fit top of dish; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges; cut slits in top. Brush pastry with remaining milk. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 632 calories, 46g fat (22g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 657mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Broccoli Beef Pie in Casserole Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.