Broccoli Beef Curry
We developed our own version of this dish after tasting it at a local Indian restaurant. The curry's not overpowering—it has a wonderful flavor.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour 50 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large onions, diced
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound fresh broccoli, cut into florets
- Cornstarch and water, optional
- Hot cooked rice
- Toss meat with garlic, ginger, curry powder, chili powder and salt. In a large skillet or wok, cook meat with onions in oil until browned. Stir in water.
- Cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours or until beef is tender. Add broccoli and more water if necessary; cover and cook until broccoli is crisp-tender. If desired, thicken with cornstarch dissolved in water. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 379 calories, 14g fat (0 saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Originally published as Broccoli Beef Curry in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook
Aug 6, 2009
adding 1 cup of water for 1.5 lbs of meat and its suppose to simmer for an hr and a half...just doesnt cut it, it evaporated in 10 minutes. added more water and it watered down the sauce. now it tastes like nothing...