Writes John Aramanda of Beaufort, North Carolina, "I enjoy creating new recipes out of old ones—this is a variation on macaroni and cheese. My mother gets this credit for all my cooking successes. She started me out at age 5."
Recommended: 25 Fast Spring Veggie Sides
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 10 cups water
- 6 ounces uncooked small pasta shells
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup white wine or vegetable broth
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add pasta; cook for 7 minutes. Add broccoli; cook 4-5 minutes longer or until pasta and broccoli are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add the beans, wine and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 7-8 minutes or until slightly reduced.
- Drain pasta and broccoli; keep warm. Combine cornstarch, salt and milk until smooth; stir into bean mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Add pasta mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli Bean Pasta in Light & Tasty October/November 2002, p62
Reviews forBroccoli Bean Pasta
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 8, 2014
Reviewed Sep. 17, 2009
"Yummy!! All 5 of us enjoyed this one!!"