Broccoli Barley Saute
Here's a fun way to "spice up" your skillet suppers! Barley is a nice change of pace from rice, and the veggies and peanuts add a fun and festive crunch.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts, optional
- Prepare barley according to package directions. In a small bowl, combine water, soy sauce and cornstarch; set aside. In a large skillet or wok, saute garlic in oil for 15 seconds. Add carrots; stir-fry for 1 minute. add broccoli and onions; stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Stir in soy sauce mixture; simmer and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Add chicken an barley; heat through. Stir in peanuts if desired.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 149 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 273mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Broccoli Barley Saute in Country Chicken Cookbook