Broccoli and Potato Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 4-1/2 hours
Makes8 cups (2 quarts)
- 1 pound small red potatoes, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, coarsely chopped
- 7 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) condensed cream of broccoli soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon each minced fresh thyme, basil and parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1 cup shredded Havarti cheese
- Place the potatoes, onion, carrot and garlic in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the water, soup and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through.
- Stir in broccoli and cheese. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 158 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 563mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
May 4, 2011
It was not good. I put much less garlic than it called for, and it was still garlicy...and I love garlic! The "soup" part was also very thin.
Apr 26, 2011
Reading other comments. Garlic is very good for you. We didn't add the cheese until just before we are it. The aroma was good as far as we thought. Made me hungry.
Apr 26, 2011
We made this and added chopped ham. Was delicious. Took it to friends, never even tasted it before, they liked it also.
Apr 18, 2011
Why would I want to make a broccoli soup using canned soup? You could easily make a tasty homemade broccoli potato soup using chicken broth on the stovetop in very little time.
Jan 12, 2011
My husband put this in the crockpot yesterday, and it was horrible. The recipe calls for 7 cloves of garlic. He put them all in. My eyes were watering when I walked into the kitchen. May be good if you use 1 clove of garlic.