Broccoli and Carrot Chicken Lasagna
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- Pinch each ground nutmeg and cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen broccoli cuts
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 pound thinly sliced part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of sauce into the eggs; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches 160°, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt, nutmeg and cayenne. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in remaining butter until tender. Add chicken; cook and stir until juices run clear. Stir in the broccoli, carrot and remaining salt. Cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add parsley and pepper.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer 1/2 cup of the sauce, three noodles, half of the chicken mixture, 1/2 cup sauce and a third of the mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Top with three noodles, the remaining chicken mixture, half of the remaining mozzarella, 1 tablespoon Parmesan and 1/2 cup sauce. Top with the remaining noodles. Place the remaining mozzarella slices over noodles. Top with remaining sauce; gently lift noodles away from sides of the dish, letting sauce flow underneath. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 372 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 124mg cholesterol, 696mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein.
Jun 23, 2012
I made this for a birthday celebration. I used fresh broccoli instead of the frozen, and I used about 1/8th teaspoon more salt in the sauce. I also used no boil lasagna noodles. The dish turned out fantastic. Second helpings were taken by several people. GREAT!
Mar 1, 2011
Our family loved this recipe!
Dec 26, 2010
This was delicious! My whole family loved it. We had friends over for Christmas and it was a hit!