Broccoli, Rice and Sausage Dinner
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 package (13 ounces) smoked turkey sausage, sliced
- 4 cups small fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Reduced-fat sour cream and Louisiana-style hot sauce, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until browned. Stir in broccoli; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Add water, tomatoes and seasonings; bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir rice mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed and cheese is melted. If desired, serve with sour cream and hot sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without sour cream and hot sauce): 276 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 853mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Jan 15, 2018
I liked how quick this recipe came together, but made many adjustments based on previous reviews. I used Rotel instead of regular diced tomatoes, chicken broth instead of water, minced garlic instead of garlic powder, added onion, and doubled the other seasonings. Came out pretty good, but it's almost an entirely different recipe.
Mar 6, 2016
I have made this recipe twice and it definitely needed tweaked. I sauteed onion and fresh garlic with the sausages. I still used Penzey's Roasted Garlic and vegetable broth in place of the water. With these changes, my husband and I enjoyed the dish. It was quick, made plenty for leftovers and there was only one pan to clean up. I would definitely recommend with a few changes for more flavor.
Jun 30, 2015
My family enjoy this dish. It does need a little more flavor so next time I will use more garlic powder and cheese.
Mar 6, 2015
The good thing about this dish is that it is quick and easy, but it does not have much flavor. If I were to make it again I would probable substitute fresh garlic for the garlic powder, chicken or vegetable broth for the water and maybe red pepper flakes for some punch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.