- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 3 tablespoons butter (no substitutes), divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 can (10 ounces) mixed nuts (without peanuts)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- Grease a baking sheet with 1-1/2 teaspoons of butter; set aside. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, water and corn syrup. Cook over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 270° (soft-crack stage), stirring occasionally. Add nuts; cook and stir until the mixture reaches 300° (hard-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and remaining butter. Add baking soda and stir vigorously. Quickly pour onto prepared baking sheet. Spread with a buttered metal spatula to 1/4-in. thickness. Cool before breaking into pieces. Yield: about 1-3/4 pounds.
Reviews forBrittle with Mixed Nuts
"This was my first try at making brittle. You almost need four hands to finish the recipe, but it's definitely worth it. Very few ingredients but a lot of hurry up!Key things to keep in mind: you'll need plenty of spoons, you'll use one, stuff will stick to it, throw it to the side and get a fresh one. Having a candy thermometer is required! Let it cool all the way.It is a clear winner as far as taste goes. I'll make it again next year."