Brisket With Gravy
- 1 fresh beef brisket (about 4 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1. Place beef in a roasting pan. Sprinkle with pepper and top with onion. Combine the beer, chili sauce, brown sugar and garlic; stir until sugar is dissolved. Pour over meat.
- 2. Cover and bake at 325° for 3-1/2 hours. Uncover; bake 15-30 minutes longer or until onions are lightly browned and meat is tender. Remove meat and onions to a serving platter and keep warm.
- 3. Pour drippings and loosened browned bits into a saucepan. Skim fat. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into pan drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice meat thinly across the grain. Serve with gravy.
3 ounce-weight: 236 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 207mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Aug 18, 2012
Jul 5, 2011
I think it needed more liquid. The flavor was okay.
Jul 28, 2010
I substituted a can of pop for the beer, and it was great. My husband wants this again! Leftovers are great on a salad.