Brisket for a Bunch
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1 fresh beef brisket (2-1/2 pounds), cut in half
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 12 split hamburger buns or garlic bread slices
- In a large skillet, brown brisket in oil on both sides; transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. In the same skillet, saute celery and onion for 1 minute. Gradually add the broth, tomato sauce and water; stir to loosen the browned bits from pan. Add the sugar, soup mix and vinegar; bring to a boil. Pour over brisket.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Skim fat from cooking juices. Serve with buns or bread and cooking juices.
Editor's NoteThis is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 279 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 458mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Apr 19, 2010
Very good recipe. Make sure to save the cooking juicies to store the leftover meat in or it will really dry out fast.
Mar 29, 2009
This is a 5 star recipe. Didn't have time to slow cook the meat so I used the pressure cooker and cooked it for 40 minutes. Great flavor.
Aug 3, 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.